Sunday, November 29, 2009

30 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 29

Although it's kind of out of season, with the arrival of the cold weather today, I've been thinking about how thankful I am for the ocean and beaches. I know that there's nothing inherently warm and sunny about beaches and the ocean, but they've always been like that when I've experienced them so to me I associate sun shine and warmth with the ocean and the beach.

There are few places on earth that I'd rather be than at the beach. I like being in the mountains and I like being in the woods, but I (and AM for that matter) love being at the ocean.

This will sound very hokey, but I there's just something mysterious, awe-inspiring, and magical about the ocean. Not only is the ocean the last truly wild and mostly undiscovered terrain on our planet, but it's also a great display of God's power. Almost every time I'm at the beach I think about the following verses from Job 38 where God is questioning Job about his own power:

 8 "Who shut up the sea behind doors
       when it burst forth from the womb,
 9 when I made the clouds its garment
       and wrapped it in thick darkness,
 10 when I fixed limits for it
       and set its doors and bars in place,
 11 when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther;
       here is where your proud waves halt'?

I really like the very last verse that says, "This far you many come and no farther; hear is where your proud waves halt."

When I'm standing on the edge of the ocean as the waves come crashing up on the shore, it reminds me of God's power over all of creation and the fact that he's in control of everything... even how far the powerful waves of water can come up on the land.

I could go on and on about how much I like the ocean and how thankful I am that God gave it to us, but this is already becoming a bit of a long post. Below is a song that really sums up how I feel about the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment