Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wednesday Ramblings

Still trying to wrap my mind around this:



Today we lingered over our breakfast, stayed in our pajamas a little later, got caught in the rain at the park,

and rocked a little longer...

I know I'm stressed when I get in bed and my mind is racing over my "to-do's". I seem to have over committed myself this week. It's what we Hartman's do from time to time. The problem is it is all things I want to do. I want to go to Dallas for a conference, I want to make meals for people who have had babies, I want to be planning my baby's first birthday party, I want to spend time with my family, I want to tend to my private practice, I want to be a good friend, I want to do our ladies class Beth Moore study, I want to be a good mother, wife, cook, runner, house keeper and on and on...I did a study earlier this year, about living a simple life. It was excellent and thought provoking. But at times I still struggle at managing my commitments in a "balanced" and simple way.

Two blogs I read have recently talked about this topic of balance and trying to do it all. Many people commented on this post saying they have this same struggle, are also looking for answers, would like everything to be perfect, or schedule things as best as they can and then realize you have to let some things go. And I loved this post about juggling all of the balls and trying to prioritize them. As women it is easy to compare ourselves to others and feel bad about what we don't or "can't" do. I appreciated the author's sentiment, that we are all just doing the best we can, and that looks different for everyone. I hope to encourage the women in my life in their "doing the best they can", rather than getting sucked in to the comparing game.

I've thought this week about parents I have worked with who have talked about how much they give their children (materially) and how their children continue to want more and the parent feels like "its never enough". Those conversations always follow with discussions on what children really want- parents that are present with them and give them their time and attention. I've tried to focus on this over the past week when I've felt stressed about getting things done and with the details of Isabella's party coming together- a party that she is not going to remember. I love to celebrate and love a good party, but let's be honest the party is more about celebrating her and for us, as at this age she won't remember it!

So we took things slower today. I want to "do it all", but it is not worth the sacrifice of my family or my sanity. (I will probably have to revisit this thought again and again). I will work hard this week on the to-do's after Isabella's asleep and during her nap times, and otherwise try to focus on being present in the precious moments with my family. I want to give myself the grace to do my best, and that be enough- rather than striving perfection. I will let go of somethings and say no to some, and also know that for each crazy week there is usually a slower one behind it.

I feel more at peace today and will hopefully keep these things in mind again when my juggling ball act seems to overpower what is really important in life.

1 comment:

  1. You share the same struggle I think all mommies have! And probably all women. I find whenever I'm swamped, God usually slaps me in the face with something (usually an illness for me or Liv) that makes me cancel all plans and forces me to slow down and reevaluate. I always think...if I would just learn this lesson maybe we would never be sick! I'm getting better at saying "no" but I'm not getting better at not feeling guilty when I do!

    ReplyDelete