Saturday, October 05, 2013

Capturing Benjamin

One of my best friends and her family were in town last week and stayed with us. Michael was gone on a trip, and while I wished he'd been here to spend time with them, I was very glad for the company while he was traveling after some of the things that have happened while he's been out of town. My friend and I both got our DSLR cameras at the same time and have enjoyed talking about photography stuff as we have been learning. She recommended a book to me "Your Baby in Pictures: The New Parent's Guide to Photographing Your Baby's First Year".  I've really loved it. It goes through various "recipes" for shots to document a baby's first year. One of the photos for this month was a mom and baby picture and so I asked her to get that shot for me. (Rather than having Michael try, although I'm sure he would have tried his best! :) ). And then she ended up taking a ton of pictures. There were so many great ones of Benjamin that I loved- it was hard to narrow down from all the ones I have to just post some of them.











I cried when we were looking through the pictures (sleep deprivation...its a doozie. And I'm a sap anyway). I loved that the photos captured his sweet, happy spirit. And I was happy to have some pictures of the two of us together, as I take most of the pictures and don't have many with him. The book also talks about how to capture mom post partum in a flattering way- which was helpful! I hope when he sees them some day he sees the love I have for him.

And after watching the editing process I've added Lightroom 5 to my photography wishlist. Which as it turns out, is not a cheap hobby! Haha! But as my brother said recently, hiring photographers is not cheap, and you are taking your own memories. Can you really put a price on that? Um, yes you can. :) So for now, I will just keep learning, practicing, and enjoying the journey.

3 comments:

  1. I love them all! Such great shots. I keep meaning to read a photography book, Ryan even bought me one like 2 years ago, but I keep slacking on it. Your posts always remind me I need to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great pics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I narrowed them down from 120 to just 50 to keep. :)

      Delete