Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February Project: Making sandwich bread

Emily and I usually cook when we are together and she has been making her own sandwich bread for the past few months. I had chosen "make sandwich bread" for my February DIY project for this year, and so it was perfect to do while on my trip.
The dough is first made into to separate parts. The mixture in this bowl is called the biga.
2 C bread flour, 1 C warm water, 1/2 t of instant or rapid rise yeast.
This mixture is called the soaker. 3 C whole wheat flour, 1/2 C wheat germ, 2 C milk. Both of these mixtures rise/sit overnight.
 
The next day you add these ingredients to a bowl with both of the mixtures: 1/4 C honey, 3 t salt, 2 t rapid rise yeast, 8 T butter. 
 
Mix together with the dough hook attachment.
Needing the bread
Flattening and shaping to roll the dough into loaves.
Dough rolled and ready to bake.
Aaaaand Boom. Done. Fresh bread.
 I must say, there is nothing quite like fresh, warm, homemade bread out of the oven topped with nutella! The bread was delicious. The recipe is for whole wheat bread from a Cook's Illustrated magazine. I loved the bread, liked knowing what all was in it, and that it was preservative free. The recipe was a bit involved with starting the night before, and you need about a 5 hour stretch that you will be home the next day to complete the steps. I didn't include all of the steps in this post. But all in all, I thought it was worth it, and hope to try it on my own next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment