Tuesday, April 18, 2006

My Addiction

I don't know if you've ever emailed me, but if you have, you probably received a response within five or ten minutes of hitting the send button.

They say confession is good for the soul... sooooo... my name is DH and I'm a compulsive email checker/responder. You may have problems with drugs or alcohol or something else that makes my problem look like a speck, but unless you've ever responded to a work email at 2:00 a.m. on a weekend, don't mock my pain.

The problem is... I'm really not sure why I check my email so often. DW, a therapist-in-training, would probably encourage me to unpack this problem. She would would probably tell me that I needed to examine the assumptions behind why I'm constantly checking and responding to my emails. So I will try to do that.

Assumption #1: If I don't check my email at least once every half hour, _________ will happen.

Assumption #2: If I don't respond to people as soon as I receive an email from them, ________ will happen.

I was afraid of that...

I tried really hard to fill in those blanks, honest I did, but nothing really came to mind so I guess the whole unpacking thing didn't really work. If you have any ideas what I might fill in either of those blanks with, please share them in the comments section.

Meanwhile, at least I've gotten this problem out into the open and I'll sleep better at night knowing that I'm not shouldering this burden alone. Don't expect to see any sudden changes in my email response time or checking frequency any time soon though.

P.S. We close on our house this coming Friday and we are TOTALLY STOKED!

My name is DH and I'm a compulsive email checker.

No comments:

Post a Comment