Monday, February 07, 2011

Being Still

I had never heard of Priscilla Shirer until a about a year ago when I heard her speak at the Deeper Still conference. I loved what she had to share and it really stuck with me. I started following her blog after that.

In the bible study I am doing it is about simplicity, being still, and not filling our lives with so much activity that we crowd out space for God and our relationship with him. There were some things said really convicted me that for this season of life my main "ministry" and service is to my family and raising the little person that God has entrusted to us. Which may mean saying no to some things I would like to be doing or helping with for the sake of giving my best to a few things rather than giving myself to many things and not be able to give my best to any of them. Hmmm...does that make sense?

I loved the snow days we had over the past week. I am a bit of a homebody and love to be at home with my little family, and to have extra time for cooking and organizing things. I wasn't feeling cabin fever until the end of the third day when we were going to take a trip to the store and we weren't able to get out. Then I almost wanted to cry. Why? Is it just the thought of wanting to go somewhere, but not being able to? How often do we long for vacations and more time with the people we care about the most?

So all of these things coincided with reading this post Priscilla had on her blog. http://www.goingbeyond.com/blog/cabin-fever

And her final questions are still with me:
Are we so addicted to constant movement (and even stress) that we don't even know how to relax anymore? Isn't there anything that remains attractive about stillness, simple fun and family time?

It was interesting to read people's comments and think about my own answers. Something I need to continue thinking about...

No comments:

Post a Comment