Thursday, January 10, 2008

Despite the evidence to the contrary, I am not as awkward as I seem sometimes

So here's a funny story. My boss came in my office today to talk to me about something that I'm working on for him. I asked him to come around behind my desk to look at what I was doing on my computer screen. He comes around behind the desk, sees my RSS reader on the right hand side of my screen, and asks, "Is that a job?"

"Uh…."

Awkward silence.

"Yeah"

A little background… about a month ago I found this really cool website www.indeed.com. It's a job search site that I found while helping Annaleise look for LMFT jobs. It's a site that allows you to search for jobs by checking all the major job posting sites in one search. It even lets you create your own customized RSS feed of what you were searching for so you don't have to keep coming back to the site.

Well… out of curiosity and to test it out, I also decided to create a little job search RSS feed of my own and add it to my desktop RSS reader. What can I say? I'm a sucker for cool new internety type things.

The funny thing is, I really enjoy the job I have, I really believe in the organization I work for, and I'm really not looking to leave. Having said that, I wonder what my boss thought today when he saw a new RSS story pop into my reader titled: "EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF ADVANCEMENT - Southeastern Oklahoma State University" as he was standing behind my desk looking at my computer screen.

"Is that a job?"

And all I could say was, "Uh… yeah." I could have made some joke about how they were trying to hire me but that I told them that I was thought I was way too over qualified and that I would just wait until they had an opening at the presidential level. I could have said, "Yeah, but they can't afford me." I could have told him the previous story. I could have given him any number of funny or true explanations. I'm usually pretty good at thinking on my feet like that.

But what did I say to the boss who has been very good to me and made significant investments in me and my development throughout my time working for him?

"Uh… yeah."

Real nice MM, real nice.

I wonder how likely he will be to go to bat for me and invest in my development in the future now? Only time will tell.

In the mean time, if you're looking for a job, you should check out www.indeed.com. It's fantastic… just watch out who comes behind your desk at work if you create a job search and create an RSS feed for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment