Wednesday, May 14, 2008

30 days

I spent a lot of time over the weekend talking with Michael about life things. We have experienced some stressful times recently. Beyond specific things, in general adjusting to life after graduate school has been a change for both of us in different ways, and some other changes are coming. I think any time after a person reaches a big goal there is a time of soul searching and making sense out of what life is now that the goal is met. I have felt somewhat dissatisfied with some parts of my life and some things I would like to change, but seem to sometimes fall back into the same patterns. The more we talked, the more I felt like a lot of what I was feeling boils down to a spiritual issue. Sometimes I do not allow myself to be filled with God's peace or continuing to make myself teachable to what it means to be content.

Sunday evening we watched the sun set at lake hefner, and decided to commit to 30 days of prayer together, reading the same scriptures, and having a time to discuss what God was showing us in His word. We both reflected on the amount of time we spend on our computers and how little time we spend in our relationships with God.

I hope over this next month we both grow closer to God, to each other, and can create a better spiritual habit for ourselves.

I have thought about this verse over the past few days, and I think God inspired words like these for people like me as a reminder that rest comes from Him and not from attempting to carry our own burdens.

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:29-30

I praise you Father that you are a God of peace, and because of Your great love we are not consumed, for Your compassions never fail, they are new every morning....great is YOUR faithfulness!

No comments:

Post a Comment