Friday, April 04, 2008

Update on a Goal

One of my goals for 2008 was to run a 10K. Seeing as how I've never really been a runner (and by that I mean I'd never run more than three consecutive miles in my life... and that was a rare occasion) I spent the first four weeks of 2008 trying to get to the point where I could "easily" run two miles.

By the end of those four weeks, I was comfortably (not easily, but comfortably) running two miles. At that time, I began the 10K training program below:



A blue X means I completed that day's run. A blue square means that I did not complete that day's run. Not to make excuses but the one blue square is because I had a migraine headache that day and the thought of moving, much less running, made me want to vomit.

I post this to inspire any would be runners out there who have been deterred by their lack of previous running experience. I played high school football, have terrible knees, had knee surgery in high school, and I will run a 10K as part of a relay team in the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon in three weeks. If I can do this, so can you. If you're free that day, April 27th, you should come out and cheer us on.

In the words of the great running prophet, "Just run baby!"

And.. not to be outdone by "Just run baby!" I also want to remind you of the lyrics so eloquently penned and performed by Sheryl Crow herself, "Run baby run."

She was married to cyclist and Tour de France winner, Lance Armstrong, so obviously she must know a thing or two about running.

No comments:

Post a Comment